To date, with the generous support of the local community we have raised in the region of £300,000.
This has been achieved through a variety of fund raising events organised by the Charity, including a Skipathon, ’Loud Tie’ days, annual lunches in January, quiz nights and walking treasure hunts. Other events include ‘Arst in the Attic’ in 2013/14, a unique art exhibition displaying for sale artwork donated by the public.
The Charity is also very grateful to numerous individuals and companies who have donated funds after organising or undertaking their own fundraising events. Many of these can be found of our news page.
Our achievements so far include:
- Developing, producing and distributing Bowel Cancer information leaflets and posters;
- Embellishing two sewage carts with our ‘Don’t Sit on it Sort It’ message and advertising campaigns on a bus;
- Funding the visit of eminent health professionals to deliver lectures to our local doctors and nurses. Providing training for local health professionals;
- Funding the trip of Dr Peter Gomes to the European Society of Medical Oncology Congress to learn more about Bowel Cancer treatments;
- Purchasing a computer and programme to enable medical staff to build an electronic database of Bowel Cancer patients;
- Taking part in the Day Patient Unit Open Days to help inform the public about Bowel Cancer;
- Purchasing equipment including:
- an Electronic Scope Guide for use in the Day Patient Unit to improve the early detection and treatment of Bowel Cancer;
- a Flexible Sigmoidoscope to assist Health and Social Care with Bowel Screening;
- a computer programme to help record details of those screened through the bowel cancer screening programme and those undergoing colonoscopies.
- Assisting health professionals led by Miss Carol Makin, Consultant General Surgeon of the Medical Specialists Group to deliver an ‘Enhanced Recovery Programme’ for patients undergoing bowel surgery;
- Part funding and assisting to produce a video guide for patients about to undergo bowel surgery;
- Supported the Bowel Cancer Screening Programme for different age groups;
- Supported Mary’s Wish - a patient support group;
- Teamed up with MUG to raise awareness, including new advert at Guernsey Airport in 2017;
- Advertising campaigns across the Island;
- Attended various events including the Guernsey Press Homelife Show at Beau Sejour 2013 and 2015;
- Visits to businesses and other organisations to raise awareness of bowel cancer and the work of the Charity;
- School lesson plans and the ‘Love your Booty’ campaign to specifically target young people;
- Raised funds to purchase adult gym equipment for Saumarez Park with the support of the Friends of Saumarez Park Playground Appeal;
- Organised sessions with Gym instructors on the outdoor gym equipment to assist different user groups, including Mums and Grans in October 2016;
- Refurbished waiting room for Bowel Cancer screening patients at the Day Patient Unit;
- Funded visit of leading expert on fecal immunochemical test (FIT) to talk to local health professionals.
We continue to liaise with the Committee for Health and Social Care to provide equipment and training to aid the bowel cancer screening programme as well as diagnosis and treatment of bowel cancer whenever required.